3/28/13

$1 Spring Wreath



My son and I worked on this project together and it turned out nice considering I only spent a dollar on it.

It is made from the plastic bags you get from the supermarket or department store and a wire hanger. It couldn't be simpler or more kid friendly.

We used about 20 bags. You could also use trash bags but we decided to use the surplus of old shopping bags I had stored.


I cut the bags into strips about 2" X 6". They don't have to be perfect. A variation in length gives the wreath character. As you can see we used some yellow and some white. I wanted all yellow but didn't have enough bags to finish so had to add the white.


Form the wire hanger into a circle. You could also do a letter if you wanted. I considered doing a "D" but decided to go simple.


Then you just tie the strips of plastic to the wire. Continue until the wreath is as full as you want it.




I added a bow from some left over ribbon and some garden trinkets I picked up for $1. Had I left those off it would have cost nothing but my husband thought it really needed them.

This project only took maybe 2 hours to complete. My son is quick at tying the strips.



 

15 comments:

  1. That is so cute and I love how inexpensive!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute and I love that you recycled shopping bags for it!

    Thanks for sharing at the Oh What A Happy Day Party!

    Not Done Growing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessica,
    I love this wreath. What a great idea. Thanks for linking it on my blog today. I'm returning the follow: I got you on Linky, GFC, and Pinterest. Hope you will visit me weekly and link up. I love your blog and will visit often.
    Angel @ http://sewcraftyangel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. So crafty! I love this wreath. I'm a new follower:)) Thanks for following me on www.gracegritsgarden.com

    Talya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a cute idea!! I hope you'll come back to the Farmhouse Porch and link this up at my linky party this Tuesday! Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment♥

    Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tons of old shopping bags too! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aloha! :-) New follower from the blog hop! You have a lovely blog and I'm happy to follow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for letting me know how to do this. I have plenttttyyyyy of white and yellow bags, and even some blue. Gonna try it for a pretty spring wreath. Found you thru the Aloha hop and following you with GFC. Have a wonderful Good Friday.

    Julie
    I Create Purty Thangs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessica, this is cute. And what makes it really special is that you created it with your son. I think that makes you a pretty neat mom. Found you through Friendship Friday and happily following. I see you live in Arkansas. My husband and I are semi-retired (he's an artist, I'm a freelance writer) and Arkansas is on our list of states to check out. Perhaps you can give me some advice on nice small towns (10,000 pop and under) with milder winters than we're used to in the Colorado Rockies. Blessings, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute project for you to do with your son. I can't believe ugly old plastic bags could make a pretty wreath like that. I like that you found a good use for the bags. Hope you and your family have a wonder Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This would be a great wreath for the fron door! I love how it turned out! Thanks for linking up to Talkin’ About Thursday link party. I hope you will come back this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea!!! Thanks for sharing this at my Pin Me Linky Party. I hope you come visit & link again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute, clever and springy! Love this project !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you're so clever! This is so cute. Thanks for linking up to Give Me The Goods Monday!
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your wreath is so cheerful ! Love the colors you used ;-) Thank you for sharing at our ALL MY BLOGGY FRIENDS party ! Hope to see you again on Tuesday :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and try to respond to each one. Your comment will be published after it is reviewed.